Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

April Ponderings [with a Posting Note]


OK – on to “Plan B”!

[The following is the opinion of myself personally, not as the Membership Coordinator, and does not reflect the views of the remaining Lincoln Land Chapter officers. If they agree with me on this, that’s fine, but for now this is my beef and mine alone.]

We had hoped to have an opportunity to do some “real” outreach at the Quaker Steak & Lube (QS&L)  bike nights this year, but corporate America reared its ugly head and we got a chance to see QS&L for the money grabber it truly is. They were really excited to give us the opportunity to increase our exposure, expand our reach to the next generation of riders and builders and make some good connections… as long as we came up with the cash to play. They didn’t want to hear anything about our plight, give consideration to the fact that we are a not-for-profit legislative rights group, or that we represent  the motorcycle community and the culture – they just want to push some more wings and beer and collect  fees from the participants.

At least when I take my scoot out there, I can put a flyer on the rack and a few brochures on the saddlebags until they ask me to put them away or leave.

I’m not sure where we go from here. My suggestion is that you get a few buds together and go on out to the events, check out the bikes and have some onion rings and a beverage. There will be plenty of riders there, and it will be a great time to talk with them about rider rights, legislative concerns, customizing your machine and managing your bike ownership and operation. (Sound familiar? I think I’ve written that before…) They might not want us to make a “formal” presence at their events as a positive motorcycle entity, but they can’t keep us from spreading a little good on the blacktop one on one.

OK – I’m done bitchin’.

“Grant me the strength to endure, the wisdom to outsmart and enough tequila to medicate.”

No comments:

Post a Comment