Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

December Ponderings

            Is it just me or does this Santa guy resemble the iconic biker image that seems to saturate the public mindset. You know, large stature, rotund build, big bushy beard, black boots, travels great distances on an open machine, impervious to the weather, a little loud when he laughs, hangs out with wildlife, generous nature.  OK - maybe I’m reachin’ a bit.

            I received a collectible figure from my mother last year, the Santa “Born To Give” guy, astride some non-descript vintage bike for my desk. Just the fact that I got something like this from her validates that she finally has accepted, over all these years, that I do ride. Apparently “De-Nile River” finally ran drive. But I digress…

            So as I look at this figure sitting on my desk, I do see a bit of a resemblance to some guys I’ve known over the years. I do get a kick out of the guys whose beards have gone full white (naturally or otherwise) and have put on a few pounds, then volunteer to dress up for the Christmas parade or local winter toy ride. I doubt that any of them have any holiday ink of candy canes or tree ornaments on their arms like the guy holding my paperwork down, but you never know. Some of those guys really get into the Santa thing.

            Alright, so much for the seasonal message...  As far as the rest of the year has gone, I want to thank the members who have collected membership subscriptions and renewals, the comments and critiques as to what needs to be improved or changed, and the words of encouragement for taking this position on. I know there’s still some bugs in the machine, and hopefully some of them are going to get worked out in the new year. It ain’t perfect sometimes… I get it.

            Thanks for being patient with me as I’ve tried to learn the job, solve some issues, deal with things outside the chapter and keep us solid as a chapter. The thing to remember is that ABATE and the Lincoln Land chapter does for motorcycling than anyone else out there will do for us. You would think more people would be looking out for us since we seem to have so much in common with Kris Kringle. Oh well, have a good and safe holiday.



“The main reason that Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”

   -- George Carlin

No comments:

Post a Comment